Monday, December 22, 2008

Cup Removal


"Abba, Father," He said, "everything is possible for you.  Take this cup from me.  Yet not what I will, but what you will." (Mark 14:36)

"Jesus, knowing all  that was going to happen to Him, went out and asked them, 'Who is it you want?'
    'Jesus of Nazareth.' they replied.
    'I am He,' Jesus said." (John 18:4-5)


Jesus asked for the cup of suffering that He knew was to come to be taken from Him.  And God was silent.  He did not take it away. 

And then, moments later, Jesus walked into the fire, knowing all that was going to happen to Him.

"I am He."  The cup of suffering was not removed.  God chose not to remove and so Jesus was obedient to what He was called to do.  He was completely obedient knowing what pain and suffering that would mean.

If I ask God to remove something, a hurt, a task, anything... How faithfully will I follow Him "through the valley of it" if He does not?  How obedient will I be when He calls me to do something and I say it is too hard?  Will I step forward and say, "I am she" or will I muddle through kicking and screaming?  

"So if all of these trials bring me closer to you
Then I will walk through the fire
If You want me to

It may not be the way I would have chosen
When You lead me through a world that's not my home
But You never said it would be easy
You only said I'd never go alone."
-If You Want Me To- G. Owens

Having fallen in love with this song by Ginny Owens, I now realize that the truest example of the graceful obedience she sings of is in Jesus Christ.

No comments: